The first thing I did was find out how many square feet I needed to cover which was around 36sq feet. I ended up buying two boxes of vinyl planks and had maybe one or two pieces left when I was finished. Now a lot of vinyl planks are self-sticking so all you have to do is peel off the backing and then stick your floor down, but of course the one color and style I picked out is the only one that wasn't a self-stick. I bought the recommended 'Pressure-Sensitive Flooring Adhesive' and headed straight home to get started.
The thing that made this project so easy, was that the vinyl planks I got said you could lay them down right over linoleum, no subfloor needed. I just cleaned the floor really well, making sure there was no dirt or grease stuck in any corners and then laid down a pattern. Now I'm not a professional so I'm sure there was a different way to do this, but the way I did it worked for me. No complaints over here!
My pattern is staggered by at least 6 inches for each main plank.
I measured and cut the end pieces and glued them down until the entire floor was covered! Now we just need to caulk the edges and our kitchen has once again transformed!